PDA

View Full Version : My First Fredonia

blmadige
12-28-2007, 12:03 PM
A HUGE thank you to Jon for his guidance on the critiquing of this timepiece. I would be very curious to know of any other Sumner Bull PL mov'ts and, primarily, of any dials with this marking...

Regards,
Bryan Eyring

Jon
12-28-2007, 04:00 PM
nice DS dial with scarce curved sig
'
great gilt damask finish

Mark Wakulchik
12-28-2007, 06:20 PM
Are these tough to come by? On a1-10 scale, with 10 being the toughest, how do these rank?

Jon
01-01-2008, 10:13 AM
These are very desired, because the gilt damask is many times more rare than damask nickel or plain gilt. Even more rare is the GD in key wind--that should be next on your list!

Wes
01-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Nice mov't. Thanks for posting it!

Mark Wakulchik
01-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Great watch and great find. Interesting history too from Swiss, imported,"Howard Bros." to Independent Watch Co. mvts made by illinois and Hampden(?), finished United States mvts. and later Fredonia mvts. followed by and sold to Peoria. It would be nice to have an example of each of these, kind of like first cousins. Lots of variation in the Fredonia watches which is remarkable considering the short time they existed as a company.

blmadige
01-02-2008, 09:52 AM
Mark;

I am currently attempting to document the changes made from company to company. I have a Fredonia, a Marion Independent, and a few USWC's. A Peoria is next on my list...

Also wanted to say that the pillar plate is also gilt and that the damascening under the dial is about as beautiful as any other I have seen!

I have never even seen a KW GD - now that is what I call rare!

Regards,
Bryan

Jon
01-02-2008, 12:45 PM
THERE ARE ANY RARITIES IN THE FRE-PEORIA, NON MAG FIELD

blmadige
01-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Good to know - thanks Jon for the information!

Regards,
~B

Jon
01-02-2008, 04:43 PM
yes, we discussed some of this info privately--you never know what scum or informationalwh.r. is lerking around for free info on other boards!

blmadige
01-02-2008, 05:26 PM
I know we did but I don't recall the subject of KW GD's - I am continually amazed at the amount of variants made by such a small company! Perhaps they invested so much $$ in R&D and small lot specials that they were doomed for failure...Similar to issues at USWC?

~B

Mark Wakulchik
01-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Bryan and Jon,
This would constitute a very interesting research effort and comprise a large variety, Swiss and U.S. with a large intra-family variation available. The non-mag and Mark Twin models are considered quite rare. This is a great project and will further enhance our appreciation and knowledge of this under appreciated company. Interesting too from a business and marketing angle.
Kudos to both of you.