PDA

View Full Version : What would you guys do????

IowaWatchGuy
04-12-2005, 01:29 PM
I have a private label Hamilton two-tone 974 which is both movement and dial marked (WF Laraway, Glenwood Iowa). My question is this: The dial has damage near the 7 hour marker ie. 2 chips that go quite a way into the dial and go all the way down to the copper dial base. Would you all fill in the damage with an enamel dial patch or leave it as is??

Jon
04-12-2005, 05:16 PM
fill

hburgell
04-13-2005, 09:02 AM
Definetly fill.
Actually I have not picked up the knack of using a filler on dials yet.

However, it is amazing what a small bottle of NG FM 325 Ford performance White touchup paint (found it in Walmart http://webhorology-mb.infopop.cc/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)applied in several coats with the applicator brush will do. http://webhorology-mb.infopop.cc/images/icon_lol.gif

Try it, and if you do not like it, it is easy to remove the paint the a toothpick back down to the bare copper.

jerymander
04-13-2005, 09:10 AM
FILL, it prevents any further damage from occurring!

Check with your local Dentist, he may be able to help match the color.

J.C.
04-13-2005, 09:24 AM
Check rio grande co. they sell a easy to use product called "colors" mix and match colors,experiment a little,,much better product than the enamel repair kit most parts houses sell,,,has darn near same properties as glass when cured properly...will even chip like glass...play with it on something else until comfortable with process...real easy.. not brain surgery...can be sanded and buffed to high polish...easy to work with,,,no special tools required...scale is neccesary...nice addition is a vacum pump of some kind,,,,worth taking a look at for projects like yours...

j.c.

JohnL
04-14-2005, 07:19 AM
is it possible for you to post a picture of the dial and movement?

sounds like a nice watch.

thanks

IowaWatchGuy
04-14-2005, 10:57 AM
I am out of town at the moment, but I will post a couple of pictures when I return. Does anyone have a good picture-hosting site that is free to use???

JohnL
04-14-2005, 10:59 AM
HI
you can email me the pictures and I will post them for you. I have web space with my email address and it won't cost anything to post your pictures.

I'd be happy to do it.

John

IowaWatchGuy
04-14-2005, 12:25 PM
Thank you....I will send you some pictures as soon as I can. Also, when I reread my first post, I see I said it was a 974. Well, I made a mistake....its a 975.

jerymander
04-14-2005, 01:27 PM
This site is FREE, and all you need to do is to click on ATTACHMENT.

Or you can use the Photo Albums.

IowaWatchGuy
04-16-2005, 11:34 AM
Thanks all. Here are about the best pictures I can produce.

IowaWatchGuy
04-16-2005, 11:38 AM

Jon
04-16-2005, 11:40 AM
I say get some enamel and fill it or have someone that knows how to do it for you

Jon
04-16-2005, 11:47 AM
MOV'T LOOKS LIKE A BEAUTY--KEEP IT ORIGINAL

IowaWatchGuy
04-17-2005, 09:44 AM
Thanks Jon! I believe the case is correct even though it is an open face case as there are no other screw marks in it. Do any of you have any information on how many of this type of movement were produced or what the demasking pattern is called? Also, any information on WF Laraway would be appreciated. I have found little information on the internet.

Wes
04-17-2005, 09:46 AM
Real nice movement. Bummer about the dial. I would certanly fill it or even send it off to a reputable dial refinsher. This can cost upwards of $200.

Fred Hansen
04-17-2005, 03:20 PM
I'd say definitely consider a fill, but definitely not a "refinish".

A nice fill job on a chip will greatly improve the overall look of the dial, but has no effect on the rest of the dial and can be undone if you ever so choose.

But my opinion is that a "refinish" destroys the integrity of the dial ... as the color, texture, crispness at the edges of the sinks, and overall look are completely altered. Also since this work can not be undone, the correct original finish will be gone forever.

Fred

IowaWatchGuy
04-17-2005, 06:04 PM
I agree about the fill but not a refinish. I hate it because the rest of the dial is perfect and has no noticible hairlines. I bought this watch because it was an Iowa private lable and because of the two-tone movement which I had never seen another one like it.

Jon
04-17-2005, 07:06 PM
REFINISHES ARE ABSURD AND COSTLY, PLUS WHAT WILL THEY LOOK LIKE IN 20-40 YEARS?

ALSO, THEY DO NOT RESEMBLE THE ORIGINAL AND ARE NOTHING BUT ******ATIONS! http://webhorology-mb.infopop.cc/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

hburgell
04-18-2005, 07:30 AM
About 300,000 974's made.
Gilt 974 models - 14,000

(Info from Hamilton Production numbers - Roy Ehrhardt)

Real shame about that dial, but almost anything you do, should improve it.

Wes
04-18-2005, 07:43 AM
I have seen a couple of refinishes that were good. The last one I saw was a refinished Ball dial that looks pretty good, even under a loupe. You are right though, who knows how they will look in 40 years. And, of course, they never look as good as new. Personally, I have never sent a dial off to be refinished, because it was not cost effective.

Jon
04-18-2005, 06:45 PM
NONE ARE GOOD OR RESEMBLE THE ORIGINAL--IF YOU KNEW WHAT THEY DID TO DIALS DURING REFINISHING YOU WOULD THROW UP!

JohnL
04-19-2005, 05:15 AM
I found this information on WF Laraway, Glenwood Iowa.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~iamills/Biography/Biog1881f.htm#Laraway,%20W.%20F.

Laraway, W. F., manufacturing jeweler. It is not with a historian's pen we deign writing a sketch of this enterprising citizen of Glenwood, but merely to strike a contrast between the present industries of the town and that of thirty years ago, when Glenwood was but a mere hamlet or trading post for the pioneer, but with the hope it will serve to show what can be accomplished where there is a mind to plan and a will to execute. Our subject was born in Washington county, Ohio, October 28, 1848. In 1853 his parents brought him to Dodge county, Wisconsin. There he began the study of his present trade, which he has pursued until the present time. In 1865 he moved to Cass county, Iowa, where he conducted a business until 1869, when he came to Glenwood and embarked in his present line of trade on a small scale. From this nucleus has sprung a business which is a credit to the town as well as its principal. In 1879 he moved to his present quarters, which is a commodious store. It is literally filled with the largest and handsomest stock of any house of the kind in southwestern Iowa. It consists of watches, clocks, plated ware and jewelry of all descriptions. He has built up a trade in engraving which extends over a broad expanse of territory. He is engaged in manufacturing everything in his line from a watch chain to a jeweler's lathe. He is the inventor of the "Glenwood chronograph," which timepiece excites the admiration of horsemen and people generally wherever shown, and manufactures many other articles of value and curiosity which are a standing credit to his skill. He erected the first transit (for taking the correct time from the sun,) in the county, which is an instrument of delicate mechanism; and in fact everything about his establishment is indicative of the man of skill and energy. His is by far the oldest house of the kind in the county, and is now enjoying a patronage from the people which is commensurate with his untiring energy as a business man. He is a gentleman of liberal culture and is highly esteemed as a citizen.

IowaWatchGuy
04-19-2005, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the information!!

IowaWatchGuy
04-21-2005, 12:44 PM
Does anyone know what this movement would have cost new fom the factory??

Jon
04-21-2005, 03:28 PM
30.00-40.00 retail ?

IowaWatchGuy
04-24-2005, 09:32 AM
Hopefully a little clearer picture of the movement. Had to use a flash though so it is bright.