PDA

View Full Version : 20 Size General Question

jazzy454
03-10-2005, 03:18 PM
To my untrained eye, what was wrong with this watch? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10314&item=4973855212&rd=1

Jon
03-11-2005, 07:04 AM
Well, first of all, considering that I can't examine it and hold it in my hand--it appears to be either a recase or a purposeful made, 2nd generation case. THIS DOESN"T APPEAR TO BE A CONTEMPORARY CASE! (Look at the distance between the movement and the curvette.)

The "57" in the case? Coinsidence or a second generation case, as Waltham did this sort of thing for old customers.

jazzy454
03-11-2005, 07:50 AM
When your talking about the distance between the movement and the curvette, are you talking about how far away the movement is away from the hinge of the case? Just a little confused about the terminology. Thanks.

Tom G
03-11-2005, 08:26 AM
One thing I noticed, by comparing with the picture on the 57 ATC post by jos, is that it looks like the inner ring of metal has been removed from the case from the auction item. Inside the lip that the cuvette snaps onto, there is metal for the case screws to engage on the 57 ATC pic. This feature is missing on the auction item. But, I can't see case screws for the auction item. Maybe this is normal?

Jon
03-11-2005, 09:08 AM
the distance (space) between the "flat" of the back plate of the movement and the inside "flat" of the curvetter

Jon
03-11-2005, 09:14 AM
HOLD IT!

I just looked at some of the other pictures and now can safely say that this is a recase!!!!!!!!!

CHECK OUT THE HALLMARK--IT IS MUCH LATER THAN THE MOVEMENT--20 YEARS (?) LATER!

(STUPID ME-- I GO TOO FAST AND DID NOT LOOK AT BUT ONE OF THE PICTURES. THE HALLMARK GIVES IT AWAY--I USED MY STARE AND COMPARE ON THE CASE STYLE AND THE SPACE PROBLEM ONLY--HAD I SIMPLY LOOKED AT THE EASIEST TELL TAKE, THE HALLMARK, I WOULD HAVE MADE A FASTER AND CLEARER FACT)

ps TOM G, I THINK I I READ CORRECTLY HIS POST IS THAT THE CASE HAS BEEN TURNED DOWN.

Jon
03-11-2005, 09:35 AM
I JUST SCRUTINIZED THE PHOTOS BUT WHAT IS THE SERIAL NUMBER?

NOTE THE CLEVER PHOTOS THAT DO NOT SHOW THE FANCY WORK AROUND THE WINDING HOLES IN THE CURVETTE--THEY ALSO LOOK FAKED AND ARE NOTHING LIKE THE ORIGINALS.

ALSO, HOW MANY 20S WATCHES HAVE YOU SEEN WITH THE REEDED EDGE FEATURE--NONE! THIS IS A LATER STYLE USED BY CASE MAKERS AND WALTHAM AND IS NOT PERIOD!

NEXT ISSUE: OLDER CASES HAVE OFFSET HINGES!

ADD: NOTICE THE PENDANT--LATER STYLE!

AND: NOTICE THE CASE STYLE--LATER!

WANT MORE?

(boy did I butcher the keyboard with typos)

Barry J. Fish
03-11-2005, 10:17 AM
Jon,

This is outstanding work and information for the uninformed and newer collector. I have been wishing for a 20s for several years and now I see the pitfalls ever so more clearly.

This is a wonderful place for education and knowledge.

Thank you.

Barry

jazzy454
03-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Thanks Jon, I appreciate it.