Web Horology Message Board

"BEWARE OF DOG"  |  HOME |  Sitemap |  NAWCC - HTI |  Special Project |  WHMB Index | "BEWARE OF DOG"

Go Back   Web Horology Message Board > The Pocket Watch Industry > Pocket Watch Discussions > Watch Companies

Watch Companies Discussions on watches and watch companies.

Unread 06-15-2004, 04:26 AM
doc ron
Renegade

how about smething new what company do you like and why
Unread 06-15-2004, 08:41 AM
hburgell
Renegade

Hamilton

Your normally get a least a 17 J watch, and the parts are often interchangeable. Just a joy to assemble these quality parts.

Also , great for a beginner, as there is few surprises.

Downside is with the interchangeable parts, switching is easy
Unread 06-15-2004, 08:07 PM
Patriot

i have two:
ELGIN AND LANCASTER
probably the biggest reason is that they are
overlooked by the bulk of collectors.they are quality and have every attribute that the highly touted companys did,just not the spotlight.
proud web horology and chapter 149 #166 member
Unread 06-16-2004, 05:08 AM
Administrator

Hi,

I basically like them all but if I had to choose just one company it would the the American Watch Co. (including its predecessors) for the following reasons (in no particular order): the history of the company and the characters involved, the quality, the workmanship, the multitude of variation, the inventions, createativity, sizes, jeweling, the innovations, the complications, the patents, the dials, the duration, etc., etc.

Walthams are simply "more sexy" than any other American watch company!
Long time collector; NOW over 60 years of collecting, researching, educating and assisting collectors with pocket watch issues.
Join the ranks of ethical/credible pocket watch collecting practices--KEEP POCKET WATCHES ORIGINAL--DON'T PART THEM OUT OR SWITCH COMPONENTS!

Last edited by Jon; 08-13-2007 at 01:32 PM.
Unread 06-16-2004, 08:01 AM
hburgell
Renegade

Walthams have too many variations for me right now.

Illinois also has the variations, and I only go near one with Russ Synder's CD.
Unread 06-16-2004, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Henry,

However, Ill doesn't even come close to the many Waltham innovations and variations!!!
Long time collector; NOW over 60 years of collecting, researching, educating and assisting collectors with pocket watch issues.
Join the ranks of ethical/credible pocket watch collecting practices--KEEP POCKET WATCHES ORIGINAL--DON'T PART THEM OUT OR SWITCH COMPONENTS!
Unread 06-28-2004, 02:19 PM
Mo
Renegade

That's what's so frustrating about Walthams. They're so damn interesting and, well, charming--how can you resist them--even though they're popular as hell and you're never going to get a really good one. Especially the seriously old and especially amazing ones. And somehow the history attached to them takes on (or lends them) that much more fascination.

Yes, Hamiltons are Great. Everyone loves Hamiltons (I guess) but (to me) they're so boring. Yeah they're great, but...it's like a huge whale that swallows everything and makes it into intself.

Mo
Unread 08-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Administrator

US Marions present a fun time collecting due to the many grades, names, sizes, jewel counts, PLs, finishes cases dials and signatures. They are also relatively reasonable pricewise and the rare ones still can be found if you hunt!
Unread 08-13-2007, 01:37 PM
RailRoader

Smile USWC

AND THE HISTORY CONTINUES TO UNFOLD AS THE HUNT PURSUES!!!

Unread 08-13-2007, 06:34 PM
Patriot

My favorite for years was early as well as late Howard watches--can you guess why?

No, I liked the history. Roy Ehrhardt as me to write in his indicators thinking I get first dibs on some good Howards--AFTER 10 YEARS IN PRINT I ACTUALLY NEVER GOT A LEAD ON ANYTHING!

I sold my early movement & dial collection to Jon Hanson over 20 years ago and have been selling off dups for many years and I now have kept generally the cream.

I do not attend shows anymore and because of the bad treatment I received while nawcc pocket watch moderator and I resigned after 30 or more years. The nawcc needs to clean up its act!

Chapter 149 Charter member