Web Horology Message Board

"BEWARE OF DOG"  |  HOME |  Sitemap |  NAWCC - HTI |  Special Project |  WHMB Index | "BEWARE OF DOG"

Go Back   Web Horology Message Board > The Pocket Watch Industry > History of the American PW Manufacturing > American Waltham Watch Company History > Appleton Tracy & Company, 1857-1859

Appleton Tracy & Company, 1857-1859 Waltham, Massachusetts. Historical research on the Appleton Tracy & Co.

Unread 02-08-2008, 06:54 PM
RailRoader

Default What is this?

I found this some time ago and bought it to play with. That is my way of learning. It was not running and needed a main spring, balance, face, hands and case. A good project to learn from. I found a balance and spring and with a bit of TLC I got it running and keeping reasonable time. I have added a face (American Watch Co) and some hands and fitted it into a period coin silver hunting case. A pleasing result and many things learnt but now I am wondering exactly what this is. I suppose you could call this an unparting project. I think the reason this was origionally junked was the damage where the serial no has been removed. However if you look at the close up this looks more like a deliberate modification but for what I have no idea. It also appears to me that the modification was done pre guilding. Could this be some kind of sample? Under the balance cock and on the pillar plate I found the number 777 but I suppose that is just the last part.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tracey1.jpg (291.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg tracey2.jpg (181.5 KB, 15 views)
Unread 02-09-2008, 03:40 AM
RailRoader

Found some more notes on this. When I got it there was a dial but it was a later one marked Waltham. It had a balance but it was smaller in diameter than was needed and the watch ran to fast (about 2 hrs in 24) when I tried to use it. The adjusting arm was missing so the current one is one I found. So it is about as origional as Murphy's axe but I would still like to know what it is or was.
Unread 02-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Richmond

Default AT&Co grade

Here is an AT&Co grade 15 jewel kw from 1864 sn 98514. Someone modified this I presume in the mid 1870's with a Tucker style regulator. Note the serial number is partialy under the plate of the Tucker style add on regulator. Your ballance cock looks similar.

Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WAL98514.jpg (55.8 KB, 31 views)
Unread 02-09-2008, 05:40 PM
RailRoader

Thanks for that Keith.
That is almost an exact match to my watch. Only difference I can see is the banking pins. Yours are the screw in type while on my watch the pins are staked in place. Not sure which came first but I woud guess mine is the later budget version. If I pick a date for mine circa 1870 I think I might be getting close. Thanks again.
Unread 02-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Patriot

tip for confused colonial...

if you upload one image into a post, the image will automatically appear in the image.

if you upload multiple images in one post, you will get 'links' as results...
Unread 02-10-2008, 05:23 PM
RailRoader

Thanks for that Sangamo. Learning all the time. I would fix it if I could (combine both pictures into 1) but don't think we can edit here. I have 1 other question about this watch. There are a couple of extra holes drilled either side of the damaged area. Can anyone think of some kind of regulator that may have been tried here. It can't have been a simple quadrent because the radius through the holes is not right. It may have had something protruding from the back which needed the cutout. Just guessing here but the holes must have been added for some reason.
Unread 05-05-2008, 08:27 AM
RailRoader

Stephen;

The fixed banking pins predate the banking screws. Being that the S/N was on the top plate and not on the BB it is later than 25XXX. Also the "WAltham, Mass" is wavy, another indication of a post 25XXX mov't.

My guess would be somewhere in the mid to upper 5 digits....

Jon - your thoughts?

Regards,
Bryan