Web Horology Message Board

"BEWARE OF DOG"  |  HOME |  Sitemap |  NAWCC - HTI |  Special Project |  WHMB Index | "BEWARE OF DOG"

Go Back   Web Horology Message Board > The Pocket Watch Industry > History of the American PW Manufacturing > Major American Watch Companies > New York Standard Watch Company, 1885-1929

New York Standard Watch Company, 1885-1929 Jersey City, New Jersey. Basically a maker of cheap watches in various sizes; however, most revered is the Clay-Hanson excapement, i.e., the worm gear which proved to be an attractive gimmick for this company which was sold to the Keystone Watch Case Company in 1903.

Unread 04-07-2005, 05:14 PM
Patriot

While at Northcoast Regional, I acquired an 18S NY Standard. I got it in a junk box in non-running order and very corroded and dirty. When looking it over, I noted a specific difference from other model NY std's. On the enclosed pic, note the larger silver screw just beside the balance cock. This has a specific purpose. This watch can be either pendant or lever set. by turning the screw. Rockford made such a model, but these are not common on New York Std's. When I tore the watch down, I noted that the mechanism was all there and functioning. After cleaning and reassembly, the watch is running fine. The position where I have the screw(in the middle position), both the pendant and lever setting systems work.

Not a bad investment for $10.

Tom
Unread 04-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Patriot

This is the dial of the preceding watch. This dial is glass enamel and faux DS. This would be a very high grade dial for a New York Std.

Tom
Unread 04-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Patriot

Tom

Nice find. Thanks for posting.

Chapter 100

Chapter 149 Member # 83
Unread 08-13-2009, 10:48 PM
Administrator

the definition is SLEEPER!

YOU BOUGHT A SLEEPER!
Long time collector; NOW over 60 years of collecting, researching, educating and assisting collectors with pocket watch issues.
Join the ranks of ethical/credible pocket watch collecting practices--KEEP POCKET WATCHES ORIGINAL--DON'T PART THEM OUT OR SWITCH COMPONENTS!