Web Horology Message Board

"BEWARE OF DOG"  |  HOME |  Sitemap |  NAWCC - HTI |  Special Project |  WHMB Index | "BEWARE OF DOG"

Go Back   Web Horology Message Board > The Pocket Watch Industry > History of the American PW Manufacturing > Minor American Watch Companies > Keystone Watch Case Company, (1903-1930)

Keystone Watch Case Company, (1903-1930) Known as the E . Howard Watch Company and commonly referred to as Keystone Howards of an uptodate style were now made in the old United States Watch Co., Waltham factory building prchased as well as just the watchmaking portion of the "old" Howard company.

Unread 05-15-2003, 04:56 AM
Patriot

Default Movement tin for 325522

Enigmatic markings... what could they mean?

- Greg
Unread 05-15-2003, 07:16 PM
Patriot

hey greg,
i see this movement number in the database, do you
have the movement that goes in it ? boy, would'nt that be neat to have the movement tin to go with the movement. i've seen alot of other brands of movement tins,but never a lancaster or keystone,
where did you come up with that ?????

wayne
proud web horology and chapter 149 #166 member
Unread 05-16-2003, 01:33 AM
Patriot

Someone provided me with that image after I started collecting Lancaster data. The did not have the movement. I recorded the information in my database based solely on the information on the tin. So far it is the only Keystone tine I have seen too.

- Greg
Unread 05-24-2003, 07:16 AM
Administrator

these original containers are cardboard, not metal!

Jon

Jon Hanson, nawcc#8801
Founder & President chapter 149. 46 year collector & researcher of early American pocket watches
Long time collector; NOW over 60 years of collecting, researching, educating and assisting collectors with pocket watch issues.
Join the ranks of ethical/credible pocket watch collecting practices--KEEP POCKET WATCHES ORIGINAL--DON'T PART THEM OUT OR SWITCH COMPONENTS!
Unread 05-24-2003, 09:38 PM
Patriot

hi jon,
thats really interesting. do you know why they used cardboard instead of metal like everyone else ? that explains why you don't see these around at all. i have some elgin tins, i think they are a neat supplement to a collection. it's a wonder any of these movement holders survived at all. they had no use for them after the movement was sold.

wayne
proud web horology and chapter 149 #166 member
Unread 03-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Wayne and others,

SORRY I JUST NOTICED THIS RESPONSE.

I HAVE BEEN SELLING NICE ILL duplicate TINS WITH CARDBOARD INSERTS. I ALSO HAVE SOME MANISTEE cardboard ONES, AS WELL AS NYS STANDARD, TAVANNES, AND OTHERS. SOME OF THESE WERE INSIDE THE METAL TINS, WHILE OTHR S WERE NOT.

I WILL HAVE TO EXAMINE SOME OF MY COLLECTION STORED AWAY AND LIST OTHERS FOR THE MEMBERS.

Jon
Long time collector; NOW over 60 years of collecting, researching, educating and assisting collectors with pocket watch issues.
Join the ranks of ethical/credible pocket watch collecting practices--KEEP POCKET WATCHES ORIGINAL--DON'T PART THEM OUT OR SWITCH COMPONENTS!