Web Horology Message Board

"BEWARE OF DOG"  |  HOME |  Sitemap |  NAWCC - HTI |  Special Project |  WHMB Index | "BEWARE OF DOG"

Go Back   Web Horology Message Board > The Pocket Watch Industry > History of the American PW Manufacturing > Dollar Watch Companies History > Ingraham Watch Company, 1911-1968

Ingraham Watch Company, 1911-1968 Originally the Bannatyne Watch Company after Archibald Bannatyne in 1905. After 1968 Ingraham watches were imported. Major dollar watch producer.

Unread 10-30-2004, 05:33 PM
Patriot

The Ingraham Co. Bristol Conn. 1912-1968
The Pathfinder
Compass in crown
Size 14
Patented Aug. 27, 1907; Sept. 3, 1907; Others Pending
Mfg. 8 19 (Aug. 1919)
Sold New $2.94
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0011.JPG (180.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0006.JPG (191.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0007.JPG (225.8 KB, 10 views)
NAWCC#0159344
Web Horology Member
Chapter 149 Member

Last edited by PW Collector; 08-20-2006 at 10:34 PM.
Unread 10-30-2004, 06:06 PM
Administrator

these are cool with the compass!
Long time collector; NOW over 60 years of collecting, researching, educating and assisting collectors with pocket watch issues.
Join the ranks of ethical/credible pocket watch collecting practices--KEEP POCKET WATCHES ORIGINAL--DON'T PART THEM OUT OR SWITCH COMPONENTS!
Unread 10-30-2004, 06:09 PM
Wes
Renegade

Very cool! I am glad you posted a pic of the compass too!
Unread 08-20-2006, 10:40 PM
Patriot

Default Pathfinder Advertisement

ANNOUNCEMENT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0003.JPG (192.0 KB, 44 views)
NAWCC#0159344
Web Horology Member
Chapter 149 Member
Unread 08-20-2006, 11:39 PM
Patriot

ANNOUNCEMENT
A NEW ERA IN DOLLAR WATCHES

A carefull survey and investigation of the market has convinced us that there is a field for a first-class up-to-date watch made on watch principles to sell at one dollar.

Believing that the public can and will appreciate the difference between a clock and a watch as a pocket time-piece, we have produced a genuine watch, embodying in the movement real watch principales, with a case conforming in style and shape to the popular demand.

This watch is 14 size, thin model, German silver, nickel plated case, open face, Arabic dial, with red minute numerals around outer margin, and "pull-out" stem set.

The advantage of German silver over brass for watch cases is so apparent as to require only a passing reference. It being practically the same in color as nickel, anY abrasion of the plate is scarcely noticeable, whereas the least wearing through of the plate on a brass case is readily observable owing to the disparity of color. The use of German silver adds to the cost of case production, but its superiorty for the purpose is our only consideration.

The "push-in" set commonly used on dollar watches is objectionable because of the liability of its being accidentally pressed down and the hands shifted while the watch is being carried in the pocket. Hence the better grade and more expensive watches are made with "pull-out" set. Our determination to produce the best dollar watch ever made induced us to adopt the "pull-out" set, even though the cost of manufacture is thereby increased.

The movement is constructed on the most advanced lines known to the science of horolgy for the production of popular priced watches. Amoung the superior features embodied in its construction are: A patent lever double roller escapement, solid cut and polished steel pinions, hardened balance roller and staff with polished bearing points fitting into specially hardened and polished steel bearings which for all practical purposes are equal to the ordinary jewels used in so-called higher grade watches. The tangent rocking bar mechanism is new and unique, specially designed to obviate the trouble known as "sticky setting." The Patent recoil ratchet prevents the main spring from "setting" after watch is wound up. No screws are used in fastening movement into case, the locking devise being simple and perfect.

In short, every part of this watch is made on watch principles, of the best materials obtainable for the purpose, by experienced superintendents and workman. No expense has been spared to create a watch which in appearance and utility compares most favorably with so-called high-grade watches. Every watch is thoroughly tested and guaranteed a first-class time-keeper.

For three-quarters of a century this company has been in the business of making one and eight-day clocks, The well-known excellence of its product and the enviable reputation thereby acquired is the best assurance of its quarantee of dollar watch perfection.

(under watch pictures)

(patent pending)

A DOLLAR WATCH and A MARINER'S COMPASS
Two indispensable adjuncts to a proper equipment for
Hunting, Fishing, Outings, Hikes, or Cross-Country Runs
THE "PATHFINDER"
Combines THESE TWO NECESSITIES AT THE PRICE OF ONE, without sacrificing the efficency or appearence of either.

The unique location of the compass in a recess formed in the top of the watch crown obviates all necessity for increasing the thickness of the case or distorting the appearance of the watch to accommodate the compass, and at the same time the compass is far enough removed from the steel parts of the movement to prevent its being deflected thereby.
__________________________________________________ _____________

A LIBERAL MARGIN OF PROFIT FOR THE JOBBER AND DEALER, WRITE US FOR PRICE.

THE E. INGRAHAM COMPANY, BRISTOL, CONN.
NAWCC#0159344
Web Horology Member
Chapter 149 Member
Unread 08-21-2006, 03:49 AM
Patriot

Default Pathfinder

Dave, That is a great example of the Pathfinder ,and the ephemera is fantastic.I have one also,slightly different dial, and now that I look at it the movement is slightlly different,my compass appears to be missing its pointer,and it isn't inside the crown. I'll post some pictures tomorrow. Thanks for sharing that one.
Bob Sherman Ch.106,149
Unread 08-21-2006, 04:32 PM
Patriot

Default A slightly different Pathfinder

Dave,
Thi one is a bit different than yours, manufacture date on this one ( 8/16), yours is ( 8/19)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8210010.JPG (122.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg P8210011.JPG (106.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg P8210012.JPG (132.0 KB, 11 views)
Unread 08-21-2006, 08:46 PM
Patriot

Bob,
The dial on yours matches the one on the advertisement, just saying PATHFINDER, whereas mine has Ingraham Pathfinder.
If you look at the Bannatyne advertisement I posted sometime back you will see this is pathfinder advertisement is extremely more detailed, but using some of the same pharses as in the Bannatyne advertisement, describing this "new" developement in watches. Ingraham not only bought the Bannatyne Watch Co., machinery, and inventory, they thoroughly expanded on his advertisements.
NAWCC#0159344
Web Horology Member
Chapter 149 Member
Unread 08-21-2006, 11:30 PM
Patriot

Default Pathfinder

Yes Dave you are correct it is the same dial in the advertising. I just pulled out my Bannatyne ,and it has amovement that closely resembles , or I should say the Ingraham mvt. looks very much like my Bannatyne. I understand that Ingraham bought Bannatyne in about 1913,equipment and all. I didn't know that they carried on with their advertising. Where did you post the Bannatyne info. Ths history is very interesting to me ,and it seems that not as much attention has been paid to it as it has to the major higher quality watch companies. The pull out stem set was Bannatynes big improvement of the day it seems. I noticed that Bannatyne also used serial #'s which Ingraham did not continue,instead I guess theyfelt that month and year really did the same thing. My bannatyne's serial # is 242687

Bob Sherman Ch.106,149
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8210001.JPG (130.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg P8210002.JPG (128.1 KB, 9 views)
Unread 08-22-2006, 07:59 PM
Patriot

Bob, If you go to the Ephemera section and below New Thread in the display options click on the box to the right of From the and select "beginning", then click on Show Threads. Scroll down to 1909 Bannatyne Watch Advertisement. I'll try to restore the picture of the advertisement.
Here is Bannatyne ser. # 203209. More pictures of this watch can be seen in the picture gallery under Dollar Watches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bannatyne Watch Co..jpg (69.5 KB, 33 views)
NAWCC#0159344
Web Horology Member
Chapter 149 Member

Last edited by PW Collector; 08-22-2006 at 10:20 PM.