Web Horology Message Board

"BEWARE OF DOG"  |  HOME |  Sitemap |  NAWCC - HTI |  Special Project |  WHMB Index | "BEWARE OF DOG"

Go Back   Web Horology Message Board > The Pocket Watch Industry > History of the American PW Manufacturing > Minor American Watch Companies > Fredonia Watch Company, 1883-1885

Fredonia Watch Company, 1883-1885 Fredonia, New York . This company evolved from the Howard Brothers mail order business, the Independent Watch Co. Fredonia movements were made for a few years from U.S.Marion and Newark machinery. Poor sales and techinal difficulties caused this company to be sold to Peoria.

Unread 01-27-2003, 01:37 AM
Administrator

Fredonias are very reasonable and fun to collect. There are sleepers galore and these watches present a much better alternative to crummy and common AND BORING railroad watches.

I collect them and AND I practice what I preach!

The nawcc lending library has a book by Kraus which is good reading on the subject.

Jon

Jon Hanson, nawcc#8801
Founder & President chapter 149. 45 year collector & researcher of early American pocket watches
Long time collector; NOW over 60 years of collecting, researching, educating and assisting collectors with pocket watch issues.
Join the ranks of ethical/credible pocket watch collecting practices--KEEP POCKET WATCHES ORIGINAL--DON'T PART THEM OUT OR SWITCH COMPONENTS!
Unread 01-02-2004, 07:24 AM
ziggy7
Renegade

My family are from Randolph, NY and my wife's family are from Jamestown. Fredonia is right in the middle, and I've been through there a thousand times. It sure would be fun to find some of their watches without paying the crazy prices on Ebay. Anybody have a nice one for sale?
Unread 01-24-2004, 03:13 PM
Mo
Renegade

I second that (about anyone having one). Never been to Fredonia, but it's in New York, so I have a propietary interest. Jessica
Unread 01-24-2004, 03:15 PM
Mo
Renegade

By the way, what does "peruser" mean? Jessica
Unread 01-24-2004, 05:12 PM
jerymander
Renegade

Modersohn: Websters Dictionary defines PERUSER as "to examine or consider with attention and in detail, READ. Peruser (n) One who does this.

Some were upset about the infopop version of Newbie. I believe this defines those that do not post yet constantly visits this site.

kirxklox(Sam Kirk)
Tinkerer
Chapter 149 #100
Chapter 62, 100, 168
Unread 01-27-2004, 02:29 PM
Mo
Renegade

Fredonias don't seem that inexpensive to me. The few I've ferreted out (online, of course) are pricey. Where do you guys go?

By the way, I have yet to find a dumpster in NYC anywhere near a jewelry store in a locked back entrance, or otherwise with anything in it except an amazing amount of wood (and rusty nails) and a few refrigerators.

So where are these fabled dumpsters?

Modersohn
Unread 02-09-2004, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Mo,

Great tool finds for watches when they auctioned off the Bullova watch factory--much if the stuff got trashed!

Jon Hanson, NAWCC #8801
Founder & President Chapter 149. 47 year collector, researcher and lecturer of early American pocket watches
Long time collector; NOW over 60 years of collecting, researching, educating and assisting collectors with pocket watch issues.
Join the ranks of ethical/credible pocket watch collecting practices--KEEP POCKET WATCHES ORIGINAL--DON'T PART THEM OUT OR SWITCH COMPONENTS!